There are 5 main reasons why people choose to practice qigong/qigong, they are:
- Health & Vitality – qigong literally is the art of managing your vital energy. Vital energy or chi/qi is what keeps you and me alive. Qigong means energy work and it works directly on your energy. Qigong is based firmly on the concepts of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). In a nut shell your energy flows through meridians. If these meridians are blocked illness results. Dependent on the severity of the blockage. If the blockage is enough to stop the flow of chi/qi/energy completely – death rapidly follows! The first aim of qigong is to remove these energy blockages and the great thing about qigong is that unlike accupuncture, tui na, herbs and diet (the other main branches of TCM) you don’t need to know where these energy blockages are. Practice high level qigong and your chi/qi will naturally flow to these areas of blockage (low energy) and work on removing them. Qigong really is that clever! With the clearing away of blockages health and vitality are the result.
- Longevity – the forte of qigong is in two parts. The first is to remove blockages and promote health and vitality. But qigong practiced daily, correctly will also increase longevity. How? Well smooth chi flow through the meridians (energy channels) of the body = good health, then when the flow is strong you have vitality and when you have an abundance of energy/chi/qi you will live a long, healthy and happy life. But keep in mind that qigong is not some 30 day miracle cure! No, to get these benefits of qigong, it must be practiced correctly, every single day.
- Internal Force – think of this as energy+ It’s what allows you to wake up in a morning feeling good to go. Work hard all day, come home at the end of the day and still have plenty of get up and go left to enjoy your time with family or friends. It can also be used by martial artist practitioners to make them more effective in combat. It is very common for qigong to be practiced by martial artists. But the type of qigong practiced is usually different as they have different needs.
- Mind Expansion – qigong is great for scholars and creatives. Imagine being able to tap into more of your natural talent. Qigong helps to clear the mind of useless clutter. The practice of qigong allows you to focus the mind. Think of your mind as the sun and think of qigong as a magnifying glass. Put the two together and you have a great power!
- Spiritual Cultivation – let’s get one thing straight right from the start. Qigong is non religious. Practitioners of any religion, or those who don’t practice a religion can practice qigong and gain its benefits. By spiritual I mean that inner part of you that makes you uniquely you. Qigong helps you to cultivate that part of you. We all have a spiritual side to us, and sadly it is often the most neglected part. Personally I believe that is why illness like depression, anxiety and stress are so rampant in our society today. We seem to place little or no value on Spirit. Practice qigong and whether you believe you are a spiritual being or not, you will protect yourself from depression, anxiety and increase your resistance to stress.
If only all qigong was created equal though…
Marcus James Santer